Firefighters, friends and family gathered on Saturday to pay respects to a volunteer firefighter who died while battling a blaze Jan. 3.
Sidney Hall died after he fell through the floor of a burning home in Upland, in Grant County. The small community remembered Hall's life and service.
Hall had been a member of the Upland Volunteer Fire Department for 10 years. He was trapped in the basement of the burning home. Seven other firefighters were hurt as they tried to rescue him.
"He was a very well-trained and dedicated firefighter," said Upland fire Capt. Mike Howard.
Hall had worked at Taylor University for about 20 years. His funeral was held in the university's gymnasium.
"It's most fitting that we pay a special tribute and honor all of his service, not only to the university but to the community," said Taylor University Provost Dr. Steve Bedi.
The house that burned belonged to a firefighter from Marion. A faulty light fixture in the home sparked the blaze.
- January 5, 2007: Firefighter Hurt In Floor Collapse Dies
- January 4, 2007: Firefighter Seriously Hurt When Floor Collapses