Ohio Blaze Blamed on Tree, 4 Hurt

Mom dropped her three kids out the window before leaping to safety.


A Northfield Village family spent Christmas Eve in the hospital after a Christmas tree caused their home to catch fire.

The fire started at about noon Saturday. A mother was getting ready for a busy Christmas Eve when her children ran upstairs to tell her the tree was on fire, NewsChannel5 reported.

Within minutes, the downstairs area was filled with smoke, leaving the mother and her three children trapped on the second level.

The mother dropped her children out the window to another family member and then she jumped to safety.

Fire officials said the mother's quick thinking saved her family's lives, but they suffered severe smoke inhalation.

"It did look very grim at that point," Northfield Village Chief Gary Vojtus said.

The family was flown by medical helicopter to MetroHealth Medical Center. They're expected to make a full recovery.

Firefighters said the near tragedy should serve as warning to those who have real Chirstmas trees in their homes.

The father was working when the fire happened. One of the family's two dogs died in the fire. The other was rescued.

You can contact the Northfield Village Fire Department if you are interested in helping the family.

Copyright 2005 by NewsNet5. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.