A woman was taken to a hospital after an apartment fire Tuesday morning on the city's southwest side, officials said.
Five other people who were at the building in the 600 block of Division Street also escaped. The woman who eventually was taken to a hospital told firefighters she fell asleep after lighting a candle and awoke at about 6:30 a.m. to a room full of smoke, officials said.
She got out of the upstairs apartment but was taken to Wishard Memorial Hospital for observation. Information on whether she was injured wasn't available; her condition was described as being stable.
Indianapolis fire officials said the building is a duplex split into four apartments.
Damage was estimated at $35,000. Officials said all of the apartments have working smoke detectors.