Residents Rescued From Houston Apartment Fire

The three people had to be rescued from a balcony.


Three people were rescued from a balcony after a fire broke out at their apartment complex, KPRC Local 2 reported.
Houston firefighters responded to the blaze at the Aberdeen Apartment on Woodchase Drive near Pagewood Lane at about 6:30 a.m. Friday.
Officials said smoke spread quickly and they rescued three people from a third story balcony.
"The victims weren't able to get out into the hallway to get downstairs because of all the smoke," District Chief Richard Mann said. "Several victims ended up leaving their doors open, which caused all the smoke to get into their apartments, which trapped them on the balconies."
Several other residents were able to run out of the building.
"I just got out of bed and ran downstairs," resident Janine Chaykin said. "I grabbed my dog, my purse and my keys and we just got downstairs."
No injuries were reported.
One unit was destroyed, officials said. Several others sustained minor smoke damage.
Investigators said a candle may have started the fire.