Four people were injured in a house fire on Indianapolis' south side Friday morning that began when a dog knocked over a candle, fire officials said.
The fire began at about 7:30 a.m. at a home in the 3700 block of East Stop 11 Road, 6News' Julie Pursley reported.
Amanda Longfellow, 30, and a friend were still inside the home when the blaze began. Two acquaintances saw the fire and tried to help.
"I just started screaming and I grabbed a fire extinguisher. I didn't know how engulfed it was," said neighbor Tina Sanders.
When firefighters arrived, they found two men, who had tried to help put out the fire, lying on the front lawn, overcome by smoke. Firefighters rescued Longfellow and her friend from inside.
The four victims were taken to Wishard Memorial Hospital, where one was treated and released. The other three victims, who suffered from smoke inhalation and burns to their hands and arms, were released later in the day.
"There are slight to moderate injuries, mostly smoke inhalation, but also burns to the hands and arms," said Russ Futrell, of the Perry Township Fire Department.
One of three dogs in the home died in the fire. The two injured dogs were taken to an emergency veterinarian center.
One person who showed up at the scene was arrested on an outstanding warrant when officers recognized him, police said.