ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. --
Oscar Sinaswee said he was sitting inside his Orange County home Tuesday night, when he heard thunder that was followed by a lighting strike. Sinaswee and his wife, Monica, walked outside to check everything out and thats when they saw flames and smoke billowing from their roof.
They quickly got their granddaughter out of the house and dialed 911. A short time later Oscar Sinaswee had to go back in for the family pets.
"I think one of the neighbors asked about the birds and he ran back in and got them," said Monica Sinaswee, homeowner.
By the time firefighters arrived, everyone was out. They were able to contain the fire to the roof, but the attic and all the things inside were damaged.
"We had a quick, typical Central Florida storm pass through the area with several lighting strikes," said Scott Seigler of Orange County Fire Rescue.
The family is still shocked that lightning started a fire at their home, but they are thankful everyone made it out safely.