Baby Tossed From Burning Dallas Building

Smoke and flames filled a Dallas duplex Monday forcing people trapped inside to jump for their lives. An 18-month-old child has been released from the hospital after being tossed from the burning building.

The two-alarm fire broke out just north of downtown in the 4200 block of Lafayette Street near Cabell Street and Haskell Avenue.

A mother who was trapped on the second floor had to drop her toddler out the window to the ground below. Firefighters said no one was able to catch the child.

First responders to the fire arrived within three minutes, officials said, and began providing medical assistance to the 18-month-old child. The child's 24-year-old mother was also treated after, she too, exited from the window.

Both the mother and daughter were transported to an area hospital.

Seven families have been displaced by the fire and are receiving assistance from the American Red Cross.

Officials said an overloaded extension cord started the blaze. In all, 58 firefighters battled the fire in the small apartment complex.

No other injuries were reported from the fire.

Copyright 2006 by nbc5i.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Loading