Three firefighters were hurt and a homeowner was flown to the Washington Hospital Burn Center after a fire broke out at a single family home in Chantilly on Tuesday.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Units initially were responding to a medical emergency on the 4900 block of Fox Creek Court, however, upon their arrival they saw smoke and fire coming from the rear of the home.
There they discovered an adult male had been working on a motorcycle under the deck of the home and needed immediate medical attention.
The fire quickly spread up the backside of the two-story colonial home and into the attic and roof areas. The three firefighters were hurt while inside the home when an explosion propelled the firefighters from the second level to the ground floor.
Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 45 minutes.
One firefighter was flown to Inova Fairfax Hospital for non-life threatening injuries. Two other firefighters were transported by ambulance to Inova Fairfax Hospital for non-life threatening injuries. Approximately 50 firefighters and emergency personnel responded to the fire.
Investigators say the fire was accidental and resulted from an electrical spark, igniting gasoline under the deck area of the home. The fire caused an estimated $500,000 worth of damage to the home.
View Slideshow: Virginia House Fire
Republished with permission of WJLA-TV.