Dallas Woman Tosses Infant to Escape Fire

Residents claim to have heard explosions shortly before 1 a.m. and then reported seeing flames inside an apartment.


Fire investigators said a careless mistake led to a three-alarm fire in Dallas that forced dozens of people from their homes early Monday morning, including one woman who had to toss her infant from a second-floor window.

Residents claim to have heard explosions shortly before 1 a.m. and then reported seeing flames inside an apartment at the Brittany Park community on the 14000 block of Dallas Parkway near Spring Valley Road.

Firefighters, who arrived at the complex to find fire shooting through the roof and windows, quickly elevated the fire to three alarms.

One resident said a mother had to toss her infant out of a second-story window to save the child from the flames.

"There was a 2-month-old baby and they were throwing her from the balcony whenever I pulled up. I saw the baby come out and they were like, 'Don't be stupid, throw the baby out, throw the baby out,'" said resident Denise Gilbert.

The baby was OK, and there were no reported injuries from the fire.

Investigators said an unattended candle is being blamed for starting the fire.

In all, 46 people have been left homeless by the fire, officials said. The Red Cross and apartment management are helping the displaced residents find temporary shelter.

Officials said eight units were destroyed by the fire while eight others were damaged by smoke and water.

The fire is the third apartment fire in the Metroplex in the last 24 hours.