Las Vegas House Fire Leaves Five Homeless

Las Vegas fire investigators believe a fire that heavily damaged a house on the city's east side Monday afternoon was accidental in nature. No one was home when the fire started.

Firefighters from Las Vegas, Clark County and North Las Vegas responded to the reported house fire at 3604 Guinevere Ave at 12:03 p.m. When units arrived on scene, heavy smoke and flames were showing from the one story wood frame/stucco house. Neighbors told firefighters that they believed no one was home and a pet dog was trapped in the back yard.

Firefighters entered the home and found the living room/dining room fully involved with fire extending into the kitchen. The rest of the house had thick black smoke throughout including the attic. It took firefighters about five minutes to bring the fire under control.

The fire gutted the living room/dining room and kitchen. The rest of the house had heavy heat and smoke damage. Damage was estimated at $100,000.

Fire investigators believe the fire started on a couch in the living room but they could not pinpoint the cause. The occupants of the house told investigators they left the house about an hour earlier and everything seemed normal. One pet dog was able to escape from the backyard; it was last seen running down the street with the family looking for it. A smaller dog could not be found.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family of five with belongings and temporary housing until their insurance company can take over. The Las Vegas Fire Foundation provided the family with $200 in immediate assistance on scene. There were no reported injuries.

Loading