Two People Die in Fire in Newton, North Carolina

NEWTON, N.C. (AP) -- A man and his daughter died Monday after being pulled from their house, authorities said.

Firefighters arrived at the house about 7:45 a.m. and found the standing outside with severe burns on her face. She told firefighters that her husband and daughter were trapped inside the burning home.

``(The injuries) were pretty severe,'' a firefighter at the scene told WCNC-TV. ``We turned them over to EMS and they loaded them onto the ambulance and transported them to the hospital. We continued our firefighting efforts at that time.''

Fire investigators said a heater wedged between a couch and a chair in the living room sparked the fire.

Fire officials confirmed Monday afternoon the father and daughter died, but their names were not immediately available. The father was in his 60s and the daughter was in her 40s.