September 4, 2004 -- FDNY brass had a sobering message for emerging leaders of the scandal-rocked department yesterday: They are responsible for the moral conduct of the men under their watch.
At a Brooklyn promotion ceremony, Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta and Chief of Department Peter Hayden told 43 firefighters to restore and protect the FDNY's image. Hayden spoke of "the courage to demand excellence of conduct, the standards of conduct, and be willing to separate between right and wrong."
The remarks did not directly address the scandal in which a woman claims to have had sex with as many as four on-duty firefighters last month.
- Firefighters To 'Recant False Testimony' In Sex Scandal
- Third FDNY Bravest Suspended, Second Faces Firing, In Sex Case
- Two Suspended In The Bronx Over Sex Probe
- FDNY Bravest Suspended in Firehouse Sex Probe
- Two FDNY Firefighters Suspended After Alleged Sexual Assault
- Probe Into FDNY Firehouse Sex Scandal Expands