Austin, TX -- A 14-year-old girl suffered burns on her hands and a firefighter suffered an apparently non-life-threatening injury after an early morning fire at a North Austin duplex.
The fire in the 8500 block of Dryfield Drive was reported shortly before 4 a.m. That address is Southeast of the intersection of U.S. 183 and Ohlen Road.
A woman who lives in the duplex told KVUE that her 14-year-old daughter lighted a candle in her room and then fell asleep reading. When the girl awoke, the room was ablaze. She suffered burns on her hands in the aftermath.
An Austin firefighter was also taken via ambulance for treatment but his injuries did not appear serious.
Neither his name nor the name of the injured teenager were made public.
The fire spread quickly through the structure's roof and flames were shooing skyward when firefightrs arrived.
A damage estimate was not yet available.