Two Girls Dead in Washington State House Fire

SILVERDALE, Wash. (AP) -- An overheated cord to a living room floor lamp caused the house fire Saturday that killed two young girls who apparently were trapped in a downstairs bedroom, authorities said.

''The crews really worked hard to get in to get the girls out of the house. They're wondering what else they could have done,'' firefighter Paul Stewart told Seattle's KING-TV.

Officials said the girls' father called 911 at about 5 a.m. The man, his wife and two of their young children made it out, but the 8-year-old and 5-year-old girls did not.

There was no working smoke detector in the home, firefighters said.

Loading