Upstate New York Firefighter Hurt During Super Bowl Party; Alcohol Banned At Fire Station

BALLSTON SPA -- Consumption of alcoholic beverages at village firehouses has been forbidden indefinitely following an incident at a Super Bowl party involving a volunteer firefighter who may have been drunk when he was hurt at the Union Fire House.

Mayor John Romano would not name the firefighter, who needed stitches after he tripped and fell. An investigation by Fire Department Chief Dick Duffy revealed the man may have been drinking, Romano said.

The firefighter put in a claim with the Saratoga County self-insurance. Romano said the village will oppose the claim because the firefighter was not hurt doing village business.

The mayor praised Duffy at a meeting of the board of trustees Monday night for imposing the dry rule. It was Duffy's decision, not the trustees', Romano said.

About 140 members belong to the volunteer fire department, which maintains the Union Firehouse on Milton Avenue and the Eagle Matt Lee Fire Company on Washington Street.

Duffy said an internal investigation into the firefighter's conduct could take another month. The man could be expelled from the department, the chief said.

The Feb. 6 incident occurred four months after firefighters were accused in October of making prank calls to the village 911 dispatcher and stealing a police car -- while drinking. Three firefighters later resigned.

Loading