EDMONTON (CP) -- Fire officials are praising the efforts of a 13-year-old girl who ran through a burning bedroom to rescue her nine-month-old niece.
``Had it been any longer, no one would've been able to get the baby out,'' said fire investigator Shayne Page of Friday's blaze in an Edmonton-area home. ``I would like to see her name put forward for some sort of public recognition.''
Patience Adams was babysitting her three siblings and two cousins when a fire broke out in a basement bedroom where her niece Caydance was sleeping.
``I turned around the corner and saw smoke coming from the basement stairs,'' she said. ``I went down there and there was lots of smoke.''
With flames shooting from a nearby lamp, Patience sprang into action, grabbing Caydance and running for the front door.
``I didn't want anything to happen to her,'' said Patience. ``I was just worried about my niece.''
After her 10-year-old sister took the baby to safety, Patience began to battle the fire.
Grabbing a garden hose from the front yard, she attached it to a spout on the back of the house.
After dousing the flames, Patience went back upstairs but was told by neighbours to get out because the fire had started again.
Neighbours Kelsey Radcliffe and Ed Whalen then aimed a fire extinguisher and a garden hose at the basement until firefighters arrived.
Patience's mother Sandi Thomas' was on the Enoch Cree Nation, just west of the city, at the time.
``I was at a doctor's appointment,'' said Thomas, who praised her daughter for risking her life. ``It doesn't surprise me. She's a very caring and responsible person.''
Fire officials said the $55,000-blaze was caused by plastic speakers that were left on a lamp.
The caretaker of the family's townhouse said he will try to find a place for the family to stay until repairs on the home are complete.