WASHINGTON (AP) -- A fire early Wednesday may have been set in an effort to destroy murder evidence, authorities said.
The remains of an adult male were found inside the Northeast Washington home once the two alarm blaze was extinguished.
``He had suffered extensive burns,'' said Alan Etter, spokesman for the District of Columbia Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department.
Firefighters were called to the two-story wood frame home around 3 a.m. Although they were able to quickly extinguish the blaze, they found the badly burned body inside. Investigators found indications that the man may have been stabbed repeatedly, but the exact cause of death will be determined by the D.C. Medical Examiner's Office.
The region's Arson Task Force was initially called out. But they turned the case back to local investigators once it was determined to be significantly different from some 40 other cases believed to be the work of a serial arsonist.
``This fire did not fit the pattern of the serial cases,'' Etter said. Most of those fires have involved a flammable liquid spread on the exterior siding of the homes. A dog trained to detect arson evidence found residue of a flammable liquid which had been spread inside the home near the corner where the fire began.
- Latest D.C. Area Arson Blaze Is Less Than A Block From Earlier Fatal Arson Blaze
- D.C. Area Arson List Grows To 41
- D.C. Area Arsonist Linked To 40th Fire
- 39 Washington DC Area Arsons Being Investigated
- Alleged D.C. Area Arsonist Arrested
- Suspect Charged With Impersonating Fire Inspector
- D.C Area Serial Arsonist May Have Visited Elementary School
- D.C. Area Serial Arsonist Still on Loose
- D.C. Area Fire Officials Still Trying To Nab Serial Arsonist
- Serial Arsonist Could Be Linked To Weekend Maryland Fire
- Maryland Serial Arsonist Strikes Again
- Overnight DC Fire Linked to Serial Arsonist
- Latest Fire In D.C Linked To Serial Arsonist
- Prince George's County Fire Chief Appeals to D.C. Area Arsonist
- Montgomery County, Maryland Leaders Look For Serial Arsonist
- Maryland Serial Arsonist Not Linked To D.C Serial Arsonist
- On The Trail Of The D.C. Arsonist
- Serial Arsonist Strikes In Two Counties