LE MARS, Iowa (AP) -- A fire that destroyed a grain elevator was accidental, authorities said.
The cause of the June 5 fire was a bearing in a pulley system at the top of the Le Mars Agri-Center Inc. feed mill building, authorities said.
Deputy State Fire Marshal David Schipper said the bearing burned and flames spread down the conveyor assembly to the floor before moving back up to the upper floors of the feed mill.
As many as 60 firefighters were at the scene. They decided to control the fire and let the building burn to the ground. The fire continued to burn for two days before it was extinguished.