For the 23rd year, the career fire service takes to the pages of the department activity levels, funding, staffing and pay. A total of 261 departments took part in this year?s survey, representing departments from 48 states, the District of Columbia and seven Canadian provinces.
The departments represented in the latest survey protect 82 million people, and they have budgets totaling more than $13 billion (budgets are listed in millions of dollars). They provide this service with 4,001 engine companies, 1,420 ladder companies, 1,198 ambulances and numerous other specialized units. They responded to 2,003,448 fire calls, 6,801,838 EMS calls and 10,185,931 total calls last year.
Part 1 of this survey features fire department profiles and total calls for 2003. Other categories will be featured in coming issues.
Our sincere thanks go to each department that participated in the survey. If your department does not appear, we invite you to request a survey form next year.
Fire Department Profiles
- Fire Department Profiles Part I (Juneau, AK - West Palm Beach, FL)
- Fire Department Profiles Part II (Athens-Clarke County, GA - St. Joseph, MO)
- Fire Department Profiles Part III (Hattiesburg, MS - Dayton, OH)
- Fire Department Profiles Part IV (Newark, OH - Madison, WI)
- Fire Department Profiles Part V (Manitowoc, WI - Canada)
Fire Department Total Calls 2003
- Fire Department Total Calls 2003 Part I (Busiest)
- Fire Department Total Calls 2003 Part II
- Fire Department Total Calls 2003 Part III
- Fire Department Total Calls 2003 Part IV (Slowest)