For the 19th year, the fire service takes to the pages of the Firehouse® Magazine National Run Survey to share and compare a number of statistics about company and department activity levels, funding, staffing and pay. A total of 245 career fire departments took part in this year's survey, representing departments from 48 states and five Canadian provinces. The departments represented in this survey protect 75 million citizens, and they have 109,858 members and budgets totaling $8.1 billion. They provide this service with 3,682 engine companies, 1,350 ladder companies and numerous other specialized units.
The results for the busiest company in each classification reflect the single busiest unit of that type in each jurisdiction. Other units may have been nearly as busy, but only one unit of each classification per jurisdiction is listed. Part 1 includes fire department profiles, total calls for 1999, busiest engine companies and busiest ladder companies. Other categories will be featured in the July issue. (Please note that some departments did not provide information in all categories.)
Our sincere thanks go to each department that participated in this year's survey. If your department does not appear, we invite you to request a survey form next year.
Fire Department Profiles
- Fire Department Profiles Part I (Anchorage, AK - Des Moines, IA)
- Fire Department Profiles Part II (Marshalltown, IA - Charlotte, NC)
- Fire Department Profiles Part III (Fayetteville, NC - Corpus Christi, TX)
- Fire Department Profiles Part IV (Dallas, TX - Canada)
Fire Department Total Calls 1999
- Fire Department Total Calls 1999 Part I (Busiest)
- Fire Department Total Calls 1999 Part II
- Fire Department Total Calls 1999 Part III
- Fire Department Total Calls 1999 Part IV (Slowest)
Busiest Engine Company
Busiest Ladder Company