For the 20th year, the fire service takes to the pages of Firehouse® Magazine to share and compare a number of statistics about company and department activity levels, funding, staffing and pay. A total of 294 career fire departments took part in this year's survey, representing departments from all 50 states and seven Canadian provinces. The departments represented in this survey protect 85 million people, and they have 130,546 members and budgets totaling $9.7 billion (budgets are listed in millions of dollars). They provide this service with 4,425 engine companies, 1,545 ladder companies, 1,851 ambulances and numerous other specialized units. They responded to 2.1 million fire calls, 6.4 million EMS calls and 9.9 million total calls.
Part 1 of the survey features fire department profiles and total calls for 2000. Other categories will be featured in the July issue.
Our sincere thanks go to each department that participated in this year's survey. If your department does not appear, we invite you to request a survey form next year.
Fire Department Profiles
- Fire Department Profiles Part I (Anchorage, AK - Pensacola, FL)
- Fire Department Profiles Part II (Punta Gorda, FL - Peoria, IL)
- Fire Department Profiles Part III (Rockford, IL - Trenton, NJ)
- Fire Department Profiles Part IV (Albuquerque, NM - Providence, RI)
- Fire Department Profiles Part V (Anderson City, SC - Canada)
Fire Department Total Calls 2000
- Fire Department Total Calls 2000 Part I (Busiest)
- Fire Department Total Calls 2000 Part II
- Fire Department Total Calls 2000 Part III
- Fire Department Total Calls 2000 Part IV
- Fire Department Total Calls 2000 Part V (Slowest)