For the 21st year, the career fire service takes to the pages of Firehouse® Magazine to share and compare a number of statistics about company and department activity levels, funding, staffing and pay. A total of 278 departments took part in this year's survey, representing departments from 49 states, the District of Columbia and seven Canadian provinces. The departments represented in the latest survey protect 82,628,157 people, and they have 133,425 members and budgets totaling more than $10 billion (budgets are listed in millions of dollars). They provide this service with 4,324 engine companies, 1,506 ladder companies, 1,952 ambulances and numerous other specialized units. They responded to 1,833,760 fire calls, 6,620,094 EMS calls and 9,885,578 total calls last year.
Part 1 of this survey features fire department profiles and total calls for 2001. Other categories will be featured in the July issue.
Our sincere thanks go to each department that participated in the survey. If your department does not appear, we invite you to request a survey form next year.
Fire Department Profiles
- Fire Department Profiles Part I (Anchorage, AK - Pensacola, FL)
- Fire Department Profiles Part II (Punta Gorda, FL - Detroit, MI)
- Fire Department Profiles Part III (Flint, MI - Wilmington, NC)
- Fire Department Profiles Part IV (Winston-Salem, NC - El Paso, TX)
- Fire Department Profiles Part V (Fort Worth, TX - Canada)
Fire Department Total Calls 2001
- Fire Department Total Calls 2001 Part I (Busiest)
- Fire Department Total Calls 2001 Part II
- Fire Department Total Calls 2001 Part III
- Fire Department Total Calls 2001 Part IV (Slowest)