A family of eight was displaced from their home on Christmas Eve after an afternoon fire on the citys northeast side.
Indianapolis Fire Department officials said the blaze broke out in the basement of a home in the 3300 block of Chester Avenue just before 12:30 p.m.
When IFD firefighters arrived at the home, they found smoke and fire showing from the front of the house.
IFD spokeswoman Rita Burris said that the fire was contained to the basement and did not spread upstairs.
The family told firefighters that they had been having electrical problems earlier in the day and that a space heater in the basement kept tripping the breakers, which may have sparked the fire.
No injuries were reported, officials said.
The Red Cross and the IFD Victims Assistance program were working to find the family shelter.
Copyright 2011 by TheIndyChannel.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.