Wis. Driver Cited For Driving Over Fire Hose

MADISON, Wis. --

An early Sunday morning fire forced 29 Madison residents out of their westside apartment building, located on 2814 Ashford Lane.

Madison fire authorities said a resident was cooking french fries in oil, when he left the kitchen and returned to a fire on the stove, just after 4:15 a.m.

Heavy smoke greeted firefighters, but they were able to get the fire under control just after 4:30 a.m. However, fire crews encountered a problem when a motorist drove over a fire hose, cutting off the water supply. That driver was cited by Madison police for driving over the hose.

Two apartments suffered fire damage, while the complex suffered smoke damage throughout the hallways on the first and second floors.

Madison fire authorities said the fire caused $96,000 in damage.

All but four families were able to return to their apartments.

Madison fire authorities said drivers should never drive over a fire hose, since that can jeopardize firefighters and residents. Damage to these hoses are also costly and drivers will be cited and fined by police.

To find out more on this, visit Channel 3000's Search page.Copyright 2011 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.