Three Hospitalized in Wisconsin Building Fire

Three people were hurt and more than 100 people have been displaced after a fire in a community housing building near the University of Wisconsin campus in Madison on Friday night.


MADISON, Wis. --

 

Three people were hurt and more than 100 people have been displaced after a fire in a community housing building near the University of Wisconsin campus in Madison on Friday night.

 

Dane County 911 supervisor Chas Klauer said that the fire at the building, located in the 300 block of North Brooks Street, began at about 6:30 p.m., and firefighters left the scene at about 9 p.m. The area is located between Johnson Street and University Avenue.

The Madison Fire Department said that three people were hurt in the blaze and were taken to the hospital. The victims' conditions are currently unknown, WISC-TV reported.

Department officials said that all residents escaped the building.

Porchlight Inc. operates the building as a community housing complex. Porchlight Inc. executive director Steven Schooler said that about 101 residents live in the building. Firefighters had to help the building residents, some of whom are elderly, while dealing with very cold conditions outdoors. Schooler said that the fire apparently started in a group kitchen.

Investigators said that they believe the blaze started on the building's second floor, but wouldn't say where, WISC-TV reported.

 

All residents were put on Madison Metro buses to protect them from the elements. Klauer said the Madison Fire Department was working with the Red Cross to try to find shelter for those displaced. Schooler said he's unsure if all residents will be allowed back in the building.

Officials said that they will inspect the building to check its integrity after the fire.

 

Copyright 2012 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.