Oregon Fire Captain Injured Tackling Man at Blaze

A Forest Grove fire captain was injured while trying to stop a man from entering a burning room Thursday morning.

When crews arrived at the home around 11:30 a.m., they learned that several people were inside trying to put it out on their own, according to KATU-TV.

Capt. Joseph Smith injured his leg while trying to tackle one of two men who attempted to run up a stairwell to the room where the fire originated.

Firefighters eventually removed the men from the home and continued battling the blaze.

Smith continued fighting the flames and was later taken to a local hospital to be evaluated. He suffered a possible torn muscle in his calf, fire officials said.

Firefighters were able to get a wheelchair-bound woman out and also saved six cats.

Investigators said the fire was ignited by a discarded cigarette that ignited the fire on a bed.