TEMPLE HILLS, Md. (WUSA) -- Three firefighters were taken to a burn unit after receiving injuries while battling a house fire in Temple Hills on Wednesday morning.
Firefighters were called to a single family home in the 2900 block of Colebrooke Drive just before 3 a.m. Wednesday and saw heavy smoke coming from the basement level of the house.
Some people who lived in the house told firefighters that three family members were missing. A team of firefighters went to look for the missing family members while other firefighters went to battle the fire. They later found that all 13 occupants were accounted for and safe outside.
The fire was located in the basement and thick smoke filled the basement and stairway going up to the first floor. Firefighters began to extinguish the fire with three firefighters at the top of the stairwell to "hold the stairs" using a hose line to keep the fire from spreading. They succeeded in keeping the fire from reaching the top floor.
However, the three firefighters received burn injuries from the intense heat. Officials say the burns are considered minor. One firefighter was burned on his neck, ears and wrist. Another firefighter had burns on his arms and wrist. The third firefighter sustained burns to his ears, wrist and knee.
The three firefighters were taken to the Medstar Washington Hospital Center Burn Unit for evaluation and treatment.
The cause of the fire was accidental and believed to be the result of a malfunctioning dehumidifier.
Eight adults and five children were displaced from the house, which suffered an estimated $100,000 in damage. The residents are being assisted by the County Citizen Services Unit.
Republished with permission of WUSA9.com