Station 7 firefighter Phil Ruff ducks behind the ladder to shield himself from the intense heat as he works the ladder truck nozzle as firefighters battle a two-alarm blaze at Southeast Church Furniture's warehouse at 808 N. Raleigh St. on Friday, January 11, 2013, in Greensboro, N.C.
Photo credit: (AP Photo/News & Record, Jerry Wolford)
Jan. 12--GREENSBORO -- Firefighters battled a huge two-alarm fire Friday that extensively damaged a warehouse in the eastern part of the city.
No injuries were reported in the fire, which broke out about 3:45 p.m. Friday at a warehouse at North Raleigh and Sullivan streets.
The fire produced thick black smoke and flames that shot 60 feet in the air and caused the roof to cave in.
It was not immediately clear how the fire began.
Something inside the building exploded about 4:20 p.m. The Greensboro Fire Department believes it was a propane tank.
Shortly before 5 p.m., firefighters started trying to make their way into the building.
The warehouse at 808 N. Raleigh St. is owned by Southeast Church Furniture. It is about a block west of the Lorillard Tobacco plant.
Mark Pickard, who works nearby, said he was in his office when he saw smoke.
"I thought, man, that's a lot of smoke," he said.
Pickard called 911 at 3:48 p.m. and was told that firefighters were already on their way.
Copyright 2013 - News & Record, Greensboro, N.C.