New Jersey fire investigators are examining a space heater as a possible link to an apartment house fire early Monday the claimed a father and stepson, and left another child injured.
The fire on Main Street in Flanders was fanned by fierce winds, according to PIX11.
Firefighters used thermal imaging cameras to to locate the victims. Despite efforts, they perished.
But, a nine-year-old girl was rescued and flown to St. Barnabas Hospital burn unit, the station reported.
A woman and her daughter escaped unharmed.
Flanders Fire Chief Frank Zeller told reporters the weather presented a challenge to firefighters. With temperatures around 5 degrees, water froze over. But a sudden change in wind direction turned away from the fire, enabling firefighters to bring it under control.
The house is located about 100 yards away from the fire station.