March 03--GUILFORD -- The Fire Department responded to a blaze at around 6:30 p.m. at the transfer station on 1900 boston Post Road.
A fire official on scene said, upon the department's arrival, the fire was burning at the top of the building that houses the dump's hopper, the device that compacts garbage.
The building, according to the fire official, took "quite a bit of damage."
Mutual aid was called in from the Branford Fire Department, but the fire official said Branford Fire was turned around before arrival.
Seven Guilford fire engines responded, and the blaze was snuffed out within 15 minutes of arrival. The firefighters used "Class A" foam, which absorbs into wood, to quell the fire.
No injuries were reported.
As for the cause, the fire official said the investigation is ongoing.
Copyright 2013 - New Haven Register, Conn.