Three Md. Firefighters Burned at House Fire

Nov. 9 - Three firefighters from the first-due company at a dwelling fire in Prince George's County were burned Saturday morning. One was admitted for possible airway injuries.

The fire was reported around 7:45 a.m. on Walters Lane in Forestville.

District Heights Engine  826 encountered heavy smoke from the rear of the home and initiated an offensive fire attack and search efforts.

The home boasted 4,200 square feet. The original two-story Cape Cod home had a large, two-story addition on the rear, according to Prince George's County Fire/EMS Spokesman Mark Brady.

Brady said that interior conditions deteriorated rapidly with fire and high heat quickly intensifying.  

As flames quickly spread through the addition, firefighters were evacuated from the structure. Flames were visible from most windows and Brady said a second alarm was called.

According to Brady, the three firefighters were part of Engine 826 and suffered burn injuries to the upper body. They were transported to the burn unit at Medstar Washington Hospital Center with burns to their wrists, arms and ears. 

Two were treated and released and the third was admitted to evaluate possible injuries involving their airway.

A female occupant was transported to the hospital for evaluation. 

Crews battled the fire from the exterior as it spread to the older section of the home.

The fire was placed under control in two hours and nearly 100 firefighters were a the scene.