One of the injured firefighters is attended to after the ceiling collapse Monday. See more scene photos in the photo gallery below.
Photo credit: Photo by Cori Wright/Carbondale Fire Dept.
Dec. 12--Everyone wants to thank and congratulate Brandon Allan and Greg Davis, the two firefighters injured Monday in a house fire when a ceiling fell on them.
But Mr. Allan, home and recovering after a stay in the hospital, said the heroes are the firefighters who pulled him and Mr. Davis out of the house.
"Everyone wants to talk to us," said Mr. Allan. "But without the others, we wouldn't be here."
Both Mr. Allan and Mr. Davis volunteer with William Walker Hose Company. They were taken to Geisinger Community Medical Center on Monday; two Carbondale firefighters also injured in the blaze were treated at Regional Hospital on Monday and released the same day.
Mr. Allan, who suffered a broken collarbone, was discharged from the hospital Tuesday. Mr. Davis, who suffered injuries to his back and several broken ribs, was expected to remain in the hospital for a few more days. Mr. Allan said Mr. Davis is doing well.
State police fire marshals have not yet determined the cause of the fire but said Wednesday it does not appear suspicious. They are continuing to investigate.
For the most part, Monday's house fire at 96 Fallbrook St. appeared routine: a structure fire at a single family home, all occupants uninjured and accounted for. When members from William Walker got on scene, they reported to Carbondale Fire Chief Chris Pezak and were assigned to the porch roof to attack the fire though the window. As the blaze was beaten down, the men were told to go inside and look for hot spots within the walls and elsewhere on the first floor. As Mr. Davis sensed the ceiling, actually a loft overlooking the living room, would fall, he pushed Mr. Allan out of the way and they avoided the worst of it.. But the force was enough to break bones of both men. Mr. Allan was unconscious. He woke up to yelling and firefighters pulling him out.
Mr. Allan identified with his rescuers, less concerned with his injury as he would be about one happening to a fellow firefighter. "When you hear that sound and stuff falls and you see your friends under a bunch of debris, it must be difficult," he said.
While he's just 23, Mr. Allan has been attached to the William Walker Hose Co. for about eight years, having started out as a junior firefighter. His father is a long-time firefighter.
"I've been doing this since I was little -- it runs in my veins," he said. "I'm going to take some time to get better, but after that, I'll be going out on the next call."
Contact the writer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright 2013 - The Times-Tribune, Scranton, Pa.