Dec. 30--RINDGE -- A refrigeration unit leak at a Market Basket caused nine people to be sent to the hospital with respiratory problems after the store was evacuated for nearly four hours Sunday night.
The building was evacuated for what was initially described as an air quality alert shortly after 6 p.m..
Rindge Fire Chief Rick Donovan said the source was traced to a leaking valve in a refrigeration unit. It wasn't immediately clear what chemical was leaking, but it caused breathing difficulties to those affected and nine people were sent to area hospitals.
The leak was classified as under control at 9:51 p.m. and service technicians were inside working on the valve while Rindge firefighters stuck around and monitored for any other air problems.
Fire crews from neighboring communities were called to assist.
The injuries were all considered not to be life-threatening.
Copyright 2013 - The New Hampshire Union Leader, Manchester