Jan. 01--YAKIMA, Wash. -- A family of seven believed to have suffered carbon monoxide poisoning while traveling in their van was sent to a local hospital Tuesday as a precautionary measure.
Three ambulances and seven firefighters responded about noon to a call that a child had passed out and was receiving CPR on the side of Interstate 82 between the Wapato and Toppenish exits. When they arrived the child was conscious and breathing, but family members reported strange smells coming from their van.
Yakima Fire District No. 5 Chief Brian Vogel said the tail pipe of the vehicle was rusted off close to the frame of the vehicle, funneling exhaust into the rear wheel well and allowing it to enter the vehicle. The family was from Prosser and consisted of two adults and five children, Vogel said.
There names were not released.
Vogel said no one appeared to be in serious condition, but officials had them transported to Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital as a precaution.
Copyright 2014 - Yakima Herald-Republic, Wash.