N.J. Volunteer Firefighter Dies After Responding

Joseph Bove, a member of the Spotswood Volunteer Fire Department for about 30 years, died about seven hours after he responded to a gas leak on Thursday night.

According to the local newspaper The Messenger Gazette, Bove, 53, collapsed at home at about 7 p.m. after spending time running tools from a truck to the location of the leak which happen at about 12:30 p.m.

Spotswood medical workers transported Bove to a local hospital where he died, the newspaper reported. The cause of death was not reported.

Spotswood Mayor Nicholas Poliseno told the newspaper Bove's death is being reported as a line-of-duty death because it occurred within 24 hours of answering a call.

Firehouse.com News will provide more information as it becomes available.