July 02--A fire that damaged a vacant building in the 5100 block of St. Louis Avenue late Tuesday night might have been started by fireworks, authorities said.
The St. Louis Fire Department is investigating the fire that engulfed a two-story vacant brick building about 10:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to St. Louis Fire Capt. Garon Mosby.
Mosby said several neighbors saw youths firing off fireworks just before the fire that spread from the rear of first floor to the second floor of the structure. Officials were told the group of children were firing off Roman candles and bottle rockets.
"It's something we are looking into," Mosby said.
The rear of both levels sustained extensive fire damage, he said. No one was injured.
Denise Hollinshed is a crime reporter for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Copyright 2014 - St. Louis Post-Dispatch