Fire Destroys N.C. Carpet Cleaning Business

July 31--According to Robbie Binkley, battalion chief for the Thomasville Fire Department, an employee at Top Notch Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning located at 6006 Ball Park Road in Thomasville was working in the building when the fire broke out around 3:35 p.m. There were no reported injuries.

"It is still under investigation, but there was one worker inside the building reconditioning mattresses," Binkley said. "Something in the process of reconditioning the mattress caused the fire inside the building. "

Top Notch Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning was located in a garage-like structure on property adjacent to Malaska Motorsports. According to a nearby business owner who wished to remain anonymous, the carpet and upholstery business had moved into the location only a week ago.

Binkley said fire was located on the east side of the building, which consisted of three garage bays with rollup doors. Firefighters managed to keep the fire contained to this area and prevented the fire from spreading to the other half of the building, which was being used as storage by another business. Although the fire only damaged half of the building, it was deemed a total loss.

"Our guys were able to put it out just a few minutes," Binkley said. "Actually, it didn't get into the other side which had a lot of heat and smoke damage. Mattresses are very flammable and caused they a lot of black smoke."

The owner of business, Howard Stewart, was not available for comment. Thomasville City Fire Department and Hasty Fire Department responded to the call. Duke Power was called to cut electricity to the building to prevent any further possible damage.

Sharon Myers can be reached at 249-3981, ext, 228 or at sharon.myers@the-dispatch.com. Follow Sharon on Twitter: @LexDisptachSM

Copyright 2014 - The Dispatch, Lexington, N.C.

Loading