Rocky Mount Firefighters Respond to Gas Explosion

Rocky Mount North Carolina - A local electrician suffered serious burn injuries in a flash explosion Friday morning while performing pool maintenance at the YMCA.

Rocky Mount, N.C. Battalion Chief T.N. Turner said the electrician was using a vacuum truck to clean out the pools sand filters when the incident occurred.

Witnesses from the City of Rocky Mount Parks and Recreation Department, City Environmental Services personnel, and off duty Rocky Mount Fire Engineer Gary Atkinson went to his aid and extinguished the blaze and called 911.

After extensive on scene treatment by Rocky Mount Fire & Nash EMS workers, the victim was life-flighted to the Jaycee Burn Center at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill School of Medicine. He was listed in critical condition with second and third degree burns to 50 percent of this body.