Catoosa County Fire Crews Battle A House Fire In North Georgia

On August 28,2006 at Fort Oglethorpe Fire Department Stations 8, 10, and Catoosa County Station 3 were dispatched to a house fire.


Fort Oglethorpe Fire Department Stations 8, 10, and Catoosa County Station 3 were dispatched to a house fire with flames and smoke showing on Rustic Lane. When Fort Oglethorpe Engine 10 arrived on the scene, they reported heavy smoke and flames coming from the basement garage. Firefighters with engine 10 quickly pulled an inch and ¾ hose line and started an interior attack through a basement door. Battalion Chief Marlin Thompson arrived on the scene seconds later and set up command across from the driveway of the house. Within minutes, additional crews arrived on the scene assisting with extinguishing the fire.

Fire crews were able to get an extremely quick knock down on the fire, but the house was still full of smoke. Firefighters set up an exhaust fan to remove the smoke. Meanwhile other firefighters checked the structure for extension. Luckily the majority of the heat and fire was contained to the basement.

There were family members home at the time of the fire, fortunately they were able to escape the heat and smoke without injury. The home owner said the only thing he could think of that might have caused the fire was a battery that he was charging in the garage. Fire department officials are still investigating. No injuries were reported in connection with the fire.