House Fire in Peoria, Illinois

On the morning of April 8, 2006, Peoria City Fire Dispatch was alerted to a house fire at 1803 West Garden. The first assignment was for E-1, E-2, E-4, R-1, & B-1.

As B-1 was approaching he could see a working 1 1/2 story house with heavy smoke.

At the same time dispatch notified the responding companies that it was unknown if the occupants were out of the house. T-1 & E-3 was also requested at this time.

E-4 laid a 5- inch supply line from a hydrant at Blain and Garden. The crew of E-4 forced open the front door and advanced a line into the living room. E-4 also advanced a line between the house and the exposure.

The crew of T-4 shut off the gas and cut the electrical service. T-4 then went to work on cutting a vent hole in the roof. E-2 laid a 5 inch supply line from down on Blain and then advanced a 1 3/4 inch line to the attic. The crew of E-1 took a second 1 3/4 inch attack line off E-2 and went to work on the first floor.

The crew of R-1 did a complete search of both floors of the structure using their TIC. The search turned up negative.

The crew of T-4 set up and using the aerial, started over haul. T-1 laddered and vented the eaves of the second floor.

E-3 arrived on scene and laid a line from the hydrant on Garden and protected the neighboring exposures. The crew of E-12 arrived and was assigned to the RIT.

The fire started on the first floor bedroom in the middle of the house. The fire vented out a side window. The fire then spread to the attic. A large amount of over haul was needed in the attic. The occupants were not home at the time of the fire. Family members of the occupants were going to provide lodging.

E-19 was called to stand by for the board up crew. The board up crew covered all the windows and doors on the first floor.

I-4 was on scene along with Cilco gas and Electric.

During his investigation, I-4 fell over debris in the attic and hit his head on a piece of furniture. He was taken to Methodist Medical Center where he was released to go home later that evening.

E-19 then stood by at Station 4 and E-20 stood by at Central.