The mid afternoon of April 2, 2006, the Rutherford Fire Department was dispatched to a report of a deck on fire in the rear of 259 Washington Avenue.
While responding, units could see smoke from several blocks away.
The deputy chief Seidler on the scene reported heavy fire in the rear of the home and fire had already extended into the home to the first and second floor there was visible fire from the c and d side of the structure also. He then notified the desk to call for a fast team from Wallington and an engine.
The first due engine stretched two hand lines to the back of the building and two were stretched inside the home. He then asked for a 2nd alarm several mutual aid towns were called to the scene and to stand by in Rutherford's fire houses.
Towns from East Rutherford, Carlstadt, Lyndhurst, and North Arlington were called to the scene.
The fire advanced very quickly to the basement and the attic. It also went to 3 alarms, but was brought under control in about an hour.
All occupants did get out of the home safely and there were no reported injuries.
The fire inspector, Paul Dansbach, stated after investigating the scene where the fire started, and speaking with the home owner, it was caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette.