Over 50 Fire, Rescue, EMS Personnel Respond to Blaze at a North Carolina Auditorium

On December 15, 2003, at 6:30 AM, a lot of memories, as well as history, went up in smoke. The Roseboro Vol. Fire Department responded to a fire at a school's auditorium in North Carolina.Click to View Incident Slideshow


Click to View Incident Slideshow

On December 15, 2003, at 6:30 AM, a lot of memories, as well as history, went up in smoke. The Roseboro Vol. Fire Department responded to a fire at a school's auditorium in North Carolina.

A neighbor to the school smelled the smoke after getting out of the shower, stepped to the door and saw the flames from the rear of the structure, then called in the blaze.

The auditorium, was built in 1929, and operated a 1927 boiler. A malfunction in the boiler, used to heat part of the old school, caused the blaze.

Fifteen units were called to the scene, with approximately fifty personnel from fire, rescue, and emergency management. Salemburg Volunteer Fire Department, providing mutual aid to its neighboring station, operated a 100' aerial platform, the only one in the county.

Units remained on the scene until noon.

The loss was estimated at $685,000 for the structure and the contents. The school board has plans to reconstruct the building.