On Sunday February 15, 2004 at 1229 hours the Red Bank, Tennessee Fire Department was dispatched to a reported apartment fire at 120 Wolfe Street.
Engine 7 was the first to arrive at 1234 hours and found heavy fire in a breezeway on the front side of the building. They also found heavy smoke from both ends of the attic of a 3 story wood frame apartment building.
A second alarm was called immediately, bringing mutual aid units from Waldens Ridge, Soddy Daisy, Dallas Bay, and East Ridge.
Engine 2 arrived as the second due engine and was sent to the rear of the building were they found an upstairs rear apartment fully involved with fire through the roof.
Engine 7 in the front was connected to a hydrant using 5". A 1 3/4" hand line and a deluge gun blitz line were used to knock down the heavy fire in the breezeway. A 5" line was laid from Engine 7 to Engine 2.
Engine 2 used two hand lines on both ends of the building to stop the attic fire, while a deck gun was used to knock down the fire in the original fire apartment.
Handlines were pulled out of the building due to heavy fire on light weight truss construction with gusset plates for the roof. East Ridge Ladder 3 was used to knock down the attic fire.
Two additional engines were called for above the second alarm bringing Highway 58 Fire Department and Rossville, Georgia Fire Department to the scene.
The fire was contained to the building of origin and was under control in about 30 minutes. Overhaul continued for several hours with the last unit clearing the scene at 19:32.
Seventeen families were displaced by the fire. The American Red Cross was called and responded to assist them.
There were no reported injuries.
The fire was reportedly started by an accidentally knocked over candle.