Bradford, Pennsylvania Structure Fire

On Saturday, February 18, 2006, a 6:43 am, a fire destroyed a split-level residential structure in Bradford, Pennsylvania.

Snow, high winds, icy roads and single digit temperatures hampered firefighting operations. On the initial alarm, the Bradford City Fire Department was dispatched as automatic mutual aid with the Derrick City Volunteer Fire Department to the fire which was reported as an address outside of the city limits.

Bradford City Engine 1 with a two man crew responded to the address of the reported fire.

As they approached that address, they could see that the fire was located at another address, located within the city limits.

Lieutenant Chris Angell immediately requested a full response of the on-duty crew from the central fire station with Tower 1, and that the Derrick City Volunteer Fire Department continue their response to the scene to assist.

Lieutenant Angell requested a second alarm bringing eight off-duty city firefighters to the scene with Engine 2 and an ambulance.

The Bradford Township Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to stand-by at central fire station in the city with one engine and eight men.

Derrick City responded to the scene with two engines, a mini-pumper and a rescue truck with 12 men. Derrick City Engine 112 laid a 5 inch supply line from a hydrant to Engine 1.

A malfunctioning hydrant forced firefighters to lay another 5 inch supply line to a hydrant in the area to establish a water supply for Engine 1. While the second supply was being laid, booster tank water was used from other engines to supply Engine 1.

Firefighters used four, 1-3/4 inch preconnects; two, 3 inch attack lines with Blitzfire portable monitors and the deck gun on Engine 1 to extinguish the fire.

No one was home at the time of the fire.

Firefighters were on the scene for nearly four hours.

Damage was estimated at over $200,000.

A Pennsylvania State Police Fire Marshal determined that the fire started in the attic of the house.