Prince George's County Firefighters Battle Townhouse Blaze

At about 3:45 PM, Sunday, January 11, 2004, Prince George's County Firefighters were dispatched to 7733 Ora Court, Windsor Green Community, in Greenbelt for a report of a townhouse fire. Engine 351 from Greenbelt Fire/EMS Station 35 was the first to arrive and reported fire showing from the rear of a townhouse.

The fire extended up the rear side exterior of the townhouse and entered the attic area where it rapidly spread down into the townhouse and the attics of the two townhouses on either side. The first arriving units were able to put a quick knock on the fire and limit the fire extension. Damage to the townhouse of origin was extensive, however, the townhouses on either side were kept to a minimum.

A precautionary second alarm was sounded, alerting nearly 70 firefighters to the scene; however, first alarm companies were able to contain the blaze relatively quickly. Three residents, one from each townhouse, will be displaced and will stay with relatives until repairs are made. Damage estimates are $250,000 to the three townhouses and $40,000 to contents. There were no injuries.

This was the second fire today in Prince George's County as a result of a fireplace. The first incident occurred in the 4900 block of Queensbury Road in Riverdale. An overheated wood burning stove ignited nearby combustibles causing $10,000 in damages at around 2:00 PM.

Fire Investigators determined that the fire started in the area of the fireplace located in the basement of this 2-story townhouse (3 stories in the rear).

Loading