Vinyl Siding Makes for Huge Fire in Union, New Jersey

At 7:07 pm, on January 26th, the Township of Union Central dispatcher was alerted to a reported house fire at 1489 Vauxhall Road.

A "Signal 13" was struck turning out three engines, one truck, one rescue and the 4th Battalion.

Engine 3 reported smoke and fire showing on the first floor "A-B" corner of a two story wood frame house. At this point in time the windows of the fire room failed, unleashing a heavy volume of fire that further complicated matters by extending to the second floor by means of auto exposure, and starting the other gasoline siding (vinyl siding) to burn ferociously, impinging on the wood frame house to the "B" side.

As Engine 3 mounted an interior attack, Engine 2 stretched a 2" line to protect the exposure.

The fire was extinguished and brought under control in less then an hour, despite icing conditions.

No injuries where reported.

They also relocated a task force to Union Fire Headquarters from Roselle Park, Garwood and Scotch Plains to cover the Town.

Loading