On January 7, at 3:45 pm, the Amsterdam, New York Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire at 21 First Street in the city.
Upon arrival, responding units found a 2 story wood frame home with heavy fire and smoke issuing from the first floor of the residence.
Initial entry into the structure was delayed because of a large sofa blocking the front door.
Engine 1 and Tower 4 responded on the initial call with 7 men and started fire ground operations.
A second alarm was transmitted at 3:48 pm for additional manpower and equipment to the scene along with the Chief of the Department.
Fire extended to the second floor porch with damage to the exterior of the structure, there was also moderate smoke damage to the second floor.
All occupants were out of the building prior to the arrival of the first units.
The fire was declared under control at 16:08 and all units were released from the scene at 5:30 pm.
The first floor occupant stated to investigators that she was burning a candle in the bedroom and left it unattended while she answered the phone.