BLYTHE TOWNSHIP, PA - On December 22nd, a fast moving fire broke out in the Village of Kaska. The fire tore through the homes at 13 and 15 Main Street.
The fire was spotted just after 8:30 am, and brought firefighters from all around Schuylkill County to the scene.
The Kaska, Cumbola, New Philadelphia Fire Companies were first dispatched for smoke coming from a residence. The dispatch center continued to receive multiple calls of a working fire and the first alarm as sent. The Port Carbon, Pottsville and Saint Clair Fire Departments were then dispatched to the scene. Pottsville EMS was then dispatched to the scene for rehab operations.
The Kaska Engine was on scene first and found a fire in the basement of 13 Main Street. A water supply was established from a hydrant and attack lines were advance into the home. The Cumbola Engine was second on scene and established a second water supply. The Port Carbon Engine parked in front of the Kaska Engine and had its crew back up the first interior attack teams.
Saint Clair's Engine 701, Ladder 702, and Rescue 707 arrived with in ten minutes and went to work. Ladder 702 staged in front of the homes and had attack lines placed in service. Engine 701 parked in the rear of the homes and had hose lines stretched to the back door. Pottsville Ladder 21 and Engine 11 staged a block away and sent their manpower to the scene. Ladder 21 crew threw ground ladders and did vertical ventilation. Engine 11 crews enter the homes and backed up the interior crews.
Pottsville Assistant Chief James Misstishin responded to the scene and assisted the Blythe Township Chief with fire ground operations. He requested that Pottsville Squad 72 and Schuylkill Haven RIT Team to respond to scene to be the standby RIT Team.
It was then determined that the fire breached the walls and spread to the attic. In the matter of minutes heavy fire was then reported in the common attic in the two homes.
The Ladder 21 crew was sent to the roof to open up both homes for the interior crews. The Pottsville and Schuylkill Haven Engine crews were then directed to move to the attic to stop the extensions.
The Tamaqua Fire Department was then requested for their RIT Team to respond to the scene. Additional hose lines and attack crews then entered the second floor windows to attack the heavy fire conditions. Tamaqua's Citizens and East End Engines and Squads parked two blocks away and sent their RIT Team to Side A of the structure.
The fire burned for over two hours before coming under control. The two homes received major damage and caused the residents to be displaced.
It was determined that the fire started in the basement of 13 Main Street in the area of a wood burning stove.