Pennsylvannia Bravest Battle Building Fire in Lurgan

On Monday, November 9th, 2003, after receiving several 911 calls at the Franklin County 911 center, many local volunteer and paid fire departments were dispatched to the scene of a building fire located at Hostetter's Salvage Yard.

The Pleasant Hall Volunteer Fire Separtment was the first to arrive on the scene. Before their arrival a heavy black column of smoke could be seen as they departed their station. The column was also visible from the Shippensburg and Chambersburg area.

They found the one story 50' x 100' aluminum siding building involved in fire, according to Captain Brian Denham of the Pleasant Hall Fire Department.

The building contained many salvage parts from vehicles, tire rims, diesel fuel drums, transmission oil drums, propane bottles and garage equipment.

There were at least two explosions during the fire, one being prior to the fire department's arrival, and another while on the scene.

All firefighters on the scene were withdrawn from any interior attack after being on the scene for ten minutes. They switched to a defensive attack due to the intensity of the fire and for firefighter's safety.

There were exposure problems all around the building. Three separate piles of tires catching fire and an old Lance Candy Truck caught fire on the outside area of the building.

Water was shuttled by tankers from another hydrant located at Roxbury Road and Mongul Road.

The building was totally destroyed with no estimate of dollar loss at this time. The building also contained a small living quarters which was destroyed by the fire. The State Police Fire Marshal was notified to determine the cause of the fire. There were no report of any injuries to employees or firefighters.

Units assisting Pleasant Hall Fire & Ems department were from West End Fire & Rescue, Vigilant Hose Company, Cumberland Valley Hose Company, Cumberland Valley EMS all of Shippensburg, Newburg-Hopewell, South Newton Twp., St. Thomas Twp., Letterkenny Army Depot, Chamberbsurg Fire Department and various fire police departments for traffic control.

Many units were moved up to cover for the stations committed to the fire.

The last unit to clear the scene departed at 1741 hours.