Firefighters Put Out Walls, Mississippi House Fire Ignited by Cigarette Lighter

The Walls, Mississippi Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire on Days Road just West of Fogg. The call was dispatched around 10:58 AM on October 27, 2003.


The Walls, Mississippi Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire on Days Road just West of Fogg. The call was dispatched around 10:58 AM on October 27, 2003.

The first arriving units found 2 rooms involved at about 25% of the structure.

A quick response and fast attack knocked the fire down within 20 minutes of arrival, salvaging approximately 70 percent of the structure.

Due to no hydrants in the area and additional manpower needed, units were called in to assist from Horn Lake, Eudora, Nesbit, Summershill, Love, Fairhaven, and Bridgetown bringing 25-30 firefighters and emergency workers to the scene.

The fire started while a 5-year-old was playing with a cigarette lighter on a bed in one of the rooms. One adult and two children were home at the time and escaped unharmed.